Why Is The Right CPAP Mask So Important?
It is very important that you choose the right CPAP mask for you. There are three main types of CPAP masks that you can choose from. There is a fourth one called a total face mask, but they are only used in rare instances where you have a really high pressure setting:
- Nasal Mask – covers just over the nose
- Full Face Mask – covers over the nose and mouth
- Nasal Pillow Mask – has two little nasal inserts that fit inside your nose
Things to Consider
There are a number of things to consider when choosing a mask:
- The size and the shape of your face – you should choose the type of mask that is the most comfortable for you
- Facial hair – if you use a full facial mask and you have a beard, you may not get the proper seal that you need so you might need to consider using a nasal pillow mask or a nasal mask
- Sinus problems – your doctor would be the best person to guide you as to which mask might be the most suitable for you
- Claustrophobia – if you have anxiety or are claustrophic, you may not be able to wear a full face mask or total face mask. A nasal pillow mask might be the solution for you
- Are you a nose breather or a mouth breather – if you’re a nose breather then a nasal mask or nasal pillow mask might be the best solution, whereas if you’re a mouth breather, then you may want to consider using a full face mask or total face mask
Are you ready to purchase a mask now? If you know which type of mask you want or you would like to see what some masks look like, proceed to my CPAP masks page located here.