How Can You Optimize Your CPAP Treatment?
In addition to healthy sleep patterns, remember that it is very important for your sleep apnea treatment to use your CPAP machine every night, or even when you’re having a nap. This will ensure you achieve the full benefit of your CPAP treatment.
Here are some important things to remember:
- Avoid things that may prevent you from sleeping such as smoking/nicotine, alcohol, heavy exercise, large meals or spicy foods a few hours before bedtime
- Avoid caffeine 6 hours before bedtime
- Avoid over-the-counter pills that will affect sleep or the misuse of sleeping pills
- Practice relaxing activities such as yoga, drink herbal tea or have a glass of warm milk, or read a book
- Do not read in bed or watch TV in bed
- Have a quiet and dark bedroom
- Keep your bedroom fairly cool, ideally between 64-68 degrees Fahrenheit or 18-20 degrees Celsius
How to Optimize Your Treatment
- Use your CPAP machine all night and every night, as well as when you have a nap
- Take your CPAP machine with you when you are on holidays or away on business
- Try and control your weight